Fortress Safe recalled over 60,000 safes that use fingerprint readers because of a programming flaw. So far, there have been 39 incidents where someone has gotten into the safe with an “unpaired” fingerprint.
Where are Fortress Gun Safes Made?
Fortress Safes makes its gun safes in China but distributes them throughout the U.S., and Cabela sold some Fortress safes in Canada. Xpedition LLC, dba Fortress Safe, is based in Naperville, Illinois, and it recalled a long list of safes sold by various retailers.
Fortress Safe is Being Sued
Fortress Safe said it is being sued because a 12-year-old Nevada boy allegedly died after getting into one of the company’s safes. Casey Preston, the boy’s father, bought a Fortress gun safe in March 2021 from Scheels Sporting Goods.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) posted a notice about the Fortress Safe recall: “Consumers can believe they have properly programmed the biometric feature when in fact the safe remains in the default to open mode, which can allow unauthorized users, including children, to access the safe to remove hazardous contents, including firearms,”
— US Consumer Product Safety Commission (@USCPSC) October 19, 2023
What Fortress Safes Are Being Recalled
- Fortress Portable Safe with Biometric Lock 11B20
- Fortress Personal Safe with Pop up door and Biometric Lock 44B10
- Legend Range & Field Personal Safe with Pop up door and Biometric Lock 44B10L
- Fortress Medium Personal Safe with Biometric Lock 44B20
- Fortress Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock 55B20
- Fortress Large Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock 55B30
- Gettysburg Large Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock 55B30G
- Cabela’s 4-Gun Safe with Biometric Lock 4BGGBP
- Cabela’s Biometric Personal Safe 55B30BP
Where Were the Fortress Safes Sold?
The Safes sold between January 2019 and October 2023 at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, Scheel’s, Sportsman’s Guide, Optics Planet, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Gander, Rural King, Lowe’s, and other stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com and Ebay.com.
Get a Fortress Safe Replacement
Do not use the biometric features on a Fortress Safe that is on the list. Instead, remove the batteries from the biometric reader and only use the key to open the safe.
You can contact Fortress Safe for instructions on disabling the biometric lock and a free replacement safe.